Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Cutting characters with Cricut Cake using Homemade Gumpaste

I recently acquired a recipe for homemade gumpaste which I have been really happy with. Not only is it far less expensive than the pre-made stuff you purchase in the store, I think it is much easier to work with...softer and more pliable. The first time I used it, I thought it might be too soft to used with my Cricut, but it worked like a dream. I will take you step by step through the process of cutting and assembling the pieces after giving you the recipe, so you can try it yourself. This recipe is courtesy of Carrie's Cakes. 



Homemade Gumpaste Recipe
(courtesy of Carrie's Cakes)

(2) pkgs unflavored gelatin (2 Tbsp)
1/2 cup cold water
1 tsp lemon juice

In small saucepan, add water and lemon juice. Sprinkle gelatin on top of water. Allow to soften until water is absorbed, about 5 minutes. Begin to heat gelatin gently. Stir until gelatin is a dissolved clear liquid. DO NOT ALLOW TO BOIL!  Turn off heat.

Add:

2-3 Tbsp. melted vegetable shortening
1/3 cup white corn syrup

Stir to combine thoroughly. Next place 2 lbs. powdered sugar (reserving about 1 cup) in a large mixer bowl. Add the gelatin/corn syrup liquid to the powdered sugar and mix well. Stop mixer, add 2 1/2 - 3 Tbsp. Tylose powder. Continue to mix until thoroughly combined and mixture thickens. Pour mixture onto lightly greased surface, which has been lightly dusted with powdered sugar. With lightly greased hands, knead until it forms a smooth rubbery ball. Add additional sugar if dough is too sticky or soft. Knead in as much sugar as necessary. Beginners usually make it too soft. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap twice. Store in gallon-sized ziploc bag. Allow to rest overnight. Can be stored @ room temperature for weeks. Refrigerate or freeze for extended storage time. This recipe works very well with the Cricut Cake electronic cutter.

Preparing and Cutting Gumpaste 

Roll out enough gumpaste for your cutting mat onto a silicone mat.
You know you have it thin enough when you can see the wording through the gumpaste. Roll it out a bit larger than your cutting mat.
I spread a light coat of high ratio shortening onto the Cricut cutting mat with a silicone pastry brush...you need enough so that your gumpaste with adhere without slipping or pulling up when cutting.
Peel off the gumpaste from your silicone mat and place carefully onto your cutting mat.
Gently use your rolling pin to roll onto your cutting mat, making sure that you get all of the air bubbles out.
Trim off excess gumpaste with pizza wheel, making sure that you trim off enough on the sides where the rollers will go.
Pull off excess gumpaste and save for next project.
This is what your cutting mat should look like after trimming.
This is the picture that I used to make my pattern.
Using my "Make the Cut" program (which is no longer available for use on the Cricut cutters), I layered the pieces on the virtual cutting mat on my computer before cutting them out.
Feeding the cutting mat into the Cricut...
Here is my Cricut cutting out the pieces...I usually use the medium speed.
This is what the pieces look like after being cut out.
I next airbrushed the pieces with my Fat Daddio airbrush, which I happen to love.
Here is my motorcycle guy after I have assembled all the pieces. The pieces stick together with just a tiny bit of water. I use a small paint brush to brush on the water.
Here is the finished cake. I was able to put the finished piece on a cake with whipped cream frosting, which I was never able to put a detailed pattern on before. 

Happy Cricut cutting!

4 comments:

DebbyGMomof3 said...

Hi, I just found your blog through pinterest. :-) I'm a caker as well and have been trying to find the perfect homemade gumpaste for my cricut as well. I want to try your recipe. Did you have to let your gumpaste sit for a length of time before cutting? I've tried 15 min, 30 min, in the freezer, etc. Etc. ... Lately because ofthe frustration, I've resorted to cutting edible image paper, but I'd prefer using my own gumpaste. Thanks!

Cathy Leavitt said...

Debby,
I sometimes get frustrated cutting gumpaste, as well. Sometimes it even depends on the weather conditions... ugh. Here are a couple of things that may help. First, make sure you use enough shortening to keep the gumpaste adhered properly to the mat.I use high ratio shortening. It seems to work better for me. Also, it seems to me, that the thinner you can roll the gumpaste, the better it will cut.I often times even roll it thinner once I get it on the mat. Sometimes it does help to let it set for a few minutes, but if you get the first 2 things perfectly (and believe me, it doesn't always happen for me either), you usually can cut it right away. Hope this helps.

DebbyGMomof3 said...

Thanks . Yeah, I roll it out thin enough to see the mat grid behind. So it might just have to do with the type of gumpaste. I also might not be using enough shortening. I don't use any trans fats, so whenever I use shortening (rare) I always have the organic palm oil kind. Maybe that's being a sticking point...or NOT a sticking point, haha!

Jessica Lynne @ ProNailTechTraining said...

Can you tell me what PSI you use to airbrush the gumpaste?