Monday, June 20, 2011

Chantilly Whipped Cream Stabilizer

Couldn't remember whether or not I put a post about this yet...apparently, I took pictures, but never wrote a post. Anyway, the dilemma of using whipped cream to ice cakes...especially wedding cakes. I have always used a non-dairy whipped topping base, along with the whipping cream...2 parts base to 1 part whipping cream. Over the years, I have used several different brands...Pastry Pride when we lived in AZ, Rich's whipped topping when I had a supplier here in the Springs, and then another brand that I purchased frozen from Cake Crafts in Denver. Never liked it quite as much because it tended to leave a funny aftertaste. So, after doing some research online, I found good reviews about a product called Chantilly Whipped Cream Stabilizer. It is in a powdered form that I add to 100% heavy whipping cream, along with a little powdered sugar and clear vanilla. Works like a charm, tastes great, icing smooths on really great, and the icing holds up well. No more funny aftertaste. A little pricey, but worth it to be able to just have it on the shelf and not have to keep it frozen. It is basically a gelatin-based product. Yes, I could probably cook up my own gelatin to add to whipping cream, but sometimes time is of the essence when decorating, and it's just nice to have a product I can just add to the cream and whip up. Yesterday, along with the wedding cake, I also had an order for a chocolate mint cake, with chocolate mint mousse filling, iced in chocolate whipped cream...so I added a small amount of cocoa powder, along with a bit more powdered sugar to sweeten, and it turned out great.




And the wedding cake...

2 comments:

Shelley said...

Cathy,
I am liking the idea of this!!
where do you get it?
What kind of price are you paying?
Shelley

Cathy Leavitt said...

Shelley, I am getting it through Amazon.com. Here is a link. I usually buy more than one at a time to save on shipping costs.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00270SKNU/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_3?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000LQHPZ6&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0SDV0GCN5RF3JKWN8JTR

Be sure you add it to your cream after you have whipped it up a bit, and while your mixer is still running to avoid getting lumps. I add it at the same time as I do the powdered sugar and vanilla. It will begin to thicken up immediately.