Monday, March 25, 2013

Winter time is soup time!

Spring time in the Rockies is like winter time anywhere else, and when it's cold outside like it has been here lately, it's a great time for making a big pot of soup. Two of our favorite soups here at the Leavitt home are Broccoli and Wild Rice Soup (courtesy of my friend Ann Griggs), and Whole Enchilada Chicken  Soup (from Hungry Girl). Both are very hearty soups. We make a big pot and it lasts the two of us for sometimes 3 days. Thank goodness I have a husband who loves leftovers. These soups seem to get better each time they're warmed up. As a side note, my husband does not like broccoli, but he loves this soup. I have included the recipes below. Give them a try. I know you'll love them as much as we do.



BROCCOLI AND WILD RICE SOUP

(1) 6 oz. package Uncle Ben's wild rice mix (I've also used other brands)
5 1/2 cups water
1 can chicken broth
1 1/2 cups cooked and chopped chicken breast (I've also used left-over turkey)
(1) 10 oz. package chopped frozen broccoli (you can also use fresh broccoli-finely chop and just cook longer)
2 medium carrots, peeled and shredded
1 small onion, diced
1 can cream of chicken soup
(1) 8 oz. package cream cheese, cubed

Combine rice mix, seasoning packet and water. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in chicken broth, broccoli, carrots, onion, and chicken. Cover and simmer 5 more minutes. Stir in cream of chicken soup and cream cheese. Cook and stir until cheese is melted.

Tips from Cathy:
1. I usually use 1 large head of fresh broccoli, finely chopped (in food processor). I also finely chop my carrots and onion in the food processor instead of shredding them. Then I cook them with the rice mix in the water until tender, and then add the other ingredients.
2. To make this recipe more quickly, I just add a large can of chicken from Costco.
3. To make this recipe low fat, I use the low fat cream of chicken soup and fat free cream cheese. This makes approx. 7 servings @ 7 points plus/serving


The Whole Enchilada Chicken Soup

3 cups fat free chicken broth
1 ¼ cups finely chopped celery
½ cup diced sweet onion
3 cups green enchilada sauce
(1) 15 oz. can pure pumpkin
(1) 4 oz. can chopped green chilies
10 oz. cooked chicken breast, chopped or shredded
1 cup frozen corn
Hot sauce to taste (optional)
 
In large pot, bring broth to low boil. Add celery and onion and simmer until tender. Stir in enchilada sauce and pumpkin. Once soup returns to a low boil, add chilies, chicken and corn, and mix well. Cook an additional 3-5 minutes, until heated thoroughly. Add hot sauce and serve with shredded cheese, crushed tortilla chips, and sour cream if desired.

 Tips from Cathy:
 1. You can add canned chicken to make preparation quicker. I usually add 2 cans.
2. I also add one can of black beans and one can of kidney beans (both rinsed and drained) to make the soup more hearty. 

No comments: