Sunday, March 17, 2013

Traveling out of state with a wedding cake...

So, you may have seen the Cake Boss deliver completed cakes across the country, but as for me, I wouldn't dare try to do that. I just returned home from a trip to Utah where I delivered and decorated a cake for Heather and Matt. Heather is my husband's second cousin, and I told her a couple of years ago that I would make her wedding cake when she got married. Since we were driving, I knew I would be able to bake the cake at home, transport the cake in the pans, and then decorate it after I got there. I had done this same thing several years ago when my son Tom got married in Utah, so I knew I was good to go. Here was my last week's schedule...
Tuesday- Made buttercream icing and fillings; assembled tools, cake boards, etc.
Wednesday- Baked cakes, cooled, and covered with plastic wrap; measured out fondant, packed equipment and cakes. Left at 4:30 pm for Utah. 
Thursday- Arrived in Orem, Utah early morning after a few rest stops along the way. Two hour nap and visited with relatives, then off to the church kitchen to decorate the cake. Finished around 8 pm. 
Friday- Attended wedding at Mt. Timpanogos LDS Temple at 2 pm; after pictures, went back to church to assemble cake and arrange flowers on cake. Reception from 6-8 pm. Cut the cake for guests, and cleaned up afterwards. Got to bed about 10 pm. 
Saturday- Left to come back home about 9:30 am, drove all day and got back home to Colorado Springs a little before 8 pm. 

A quick trip, but glad we were able to go to the wedding, and that I was able to help out by making the cake. It's just a good thing I don't do this very often.





No comments: