Monday, April 25, 2011

Easter Treats...

It's Easter time and that means some special treats in the Leavitt home. I haven't made this for awhile, but this Easter egg bread is a fun thing to do. I basically make my basic roll recipe same as for cinnamon rolls, add a filling (this one had butter, cinnamon, brown sugar, and finely ground pecans) form it into either a braid (or a ring if you want a larger version), add colored Easter eggs, let rise and bake for 30 minutes. The first year I made these, I didn't cook the eggs before adding them, and they didn't cook enough in the oven. So, it is a good idea to cook them prior to adding them. After the bread comes out of the oven, let it cool, and then drizzle glaze and sprinkle decorations on top. Then, with regular frosting, I decorate the eggs. It's a fun treat for Easter breakfast.

Here's another fun and yummy dessert that I made for Easter dinner. Since I'm trying to cut back on the high fat desserts, I made this lo-fat fresh berry tart. The crust was made from several layers of phyllo dough, sprayed with butter spray (instead of real butter) between the layers, and baked in the oven for approx. 7 minutes. When cool, I made a filling of (1) 8 oz. package fat free cream cheese, added about 1/2 cup powdered sugar and 1 tsp vanilla. Whip that up until nice and fluffy, then add about 1 cup of Lite Cool Whip. Spread that over the crust and arrange a variety of fresh berries on top...yum!


No comments: