Wednesday, April 27, 2011

CAKE POPS!

I've been learning several new things lately...my latest experiment is cake pops. I had some left over icing, so I whipped up a cake mix and came up with these fun little treats...




These are chocolate cake with peanut butter frosting and decorated with both semi-sweet chocolate and white chocolate and various kinds of sprinkles. I will be donating them to the young women in our church ward for their garage/bake sale to earn money for camp. I had been wanting to try these, so I thought this was a perfect opportunity.

I wish someone would have come up with these things years ago. I can't tell you how many cake scraps I've thrown out over the years, and this is a fun way to use those. Actually, I think it would be better to use "slightly stale" cake scraps instead of fresh cake since mine is already very moist. They are yummy and will do OK as long as they are kept cool. The chocolate also helps to hold them together. 

This is the basic recipe...

Crumble up a cake, add desired amount of frosting, or cream cheese, etc. to make a consistency that will work to roll into balls. Put them on a parchment lined baking sheet. Dip the end of lollipop sticks into melted chocolate and then into the balls. Freeze or refrigerate until firm, then dip in melted chocolate. Let excess drip off and then roll tops and upper edges in sprinkles, or you can decorate as desired. Let set right side up in styrofoam block or box that you have poked holes in. When set, you can wrap them in cellophane if desired. 

No comments: