Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Whipped cream icing... tastes great, but not a favorite decorating medium

Yes, whipped cream icing tastes great, especially for those who like a "lighter" taste, but sometimes it can be a real "bear" to decorate with... and I found out  last weekend that edible pearls and stabilized whipped cream are not a good combination. I had never used edible pearls with whipped cream icing before. I decorated the cake the night before since it was a Saturday morning wedding delivery. Everywhere where I placed a pearl, the stabilized whipped cream cracked slightly. Still don't know why that happened, but I will not use them again. I will stick to the dots. Whipped cream is also very unforgiving, and is hard to get on the cake smoothly. Needless to say, whenever possible I will stick with the buttercream, ganache, and fondant. Thank you. 
Cake was vanilla with lemon curd, and yellow with whipped cream and fresh strawberries, covered in whipped cream icing.

Post a Comment