Friday, May 6, 2011

"Tweaked" marshmallow fondant recipe

Now that I've been making marshmallow fondant for some time, I've tweaked the recipe, and it comes out perfect every time. Of course, if you're new at making fondant, it will take a little practice like anything else. A couple of things I really like about marshmallow fondant is that you can basically add any flavor you want to it while the marshmallows are in the "soupy" stage, and I love the easy handling of the fondant because of the elasticity of the marshmallows. I have tried several "ready to use" fondants, and I always go back to using the marshmallow fondant.

Marshmallow Fondant Recipe
1 lb. mini marshmallows (use a good brand, and make sure they are fresh)
2 T. water
2 tsp. corn syrup
flavoring
5-6 cups sifted powdered sugar
Crisco


Pour marshmallows into a large microwave safe bowl. Add the 2 T. of water and mix. Heat on high for 40 seconds, stir and heat again for 40 seconds, stir one more time and heat another 40 seconds. Stir well, and add desired flavoring and 2 tsp. corn syrup. This mixture will be "soupy." Add 1 cup of the powdered sugar and stir well. In the meantime, measure out 4 cups of sugar onto a well greased surface. I have a silicone mat that works really well, but any surface will do. Make a well in the center to pour marshmallow mixture into. With a greased scraper, scrape the marshmallow mixture out of the bowl into the "sugar well." Grease hands generously and knead in the powdered sugar completely, scraping the surface as necessary, and adding more Crisco to your hands if it becomes sticky. Continue to knead until very smooth and elastic. You know you have added enough sugar if your fondant does not spread when you let it set for a few seconds. It will depend on the humidity...you will need to add more sugar if you are in a humid climate. I never add more than 5 cups total because we are in a very dry area. Once your fondant is done, coat the entire fondant with a layer of Crisco and then put it in a zip-lock bag and let it rest at room temperature overnight. When you are ready to roll it out, put it in the microwave for a few seconds to soften it. (I usually do it for about 20 sec., but it will depend on your microwave.) Knead it a little to make it pliable, and then roll it out on a lightly greased silicone mat. The reason I love the silicone mats is because the fondant will stick to the mat until you peel it off. This makes it easier to get the correct placement on your cake and you can also roll it out thinner without it tearing. Some decorators roll fondant out with cornstarch if they don't have a mat, but that tends to dry out your fondant. If you use this method, you will just want to drape it over the rolling pin and then position it on your cake. Before you put the fondant on your cake, be sure to have a good layer of buttercream frosting so the fondant will adhere to the cake. Smooth the fondant out carefully with hands, cut off excess with a pizza cutter, and then smooth again. Again, remove any excess around bottom. You can also use a fondant smoother, but I prefer the control and feel of using my hands. 

Chocolate Marshmallow Fondant
1 lb. mini marshmallows
2 T. water
2 tsp. corn syrup
1/4 - 1/2 cup baking cocoa (regular for rich brown, special dark for dark brown)
4-5 cups sifted powdered sugar
Crisco


Follow the directions for the regular marshmallow fondant, except mix in 1/4 cup cocoa along with the corn syrup. Mix 1 cup sugar into marshmallow/cocoa mixture and then pour into remaining 3 cups of sugar. After completely mixed and kneaded, coat with Crisco and let rest overnight. At this point, your fondant will be a medium brown color. The next day when ready to use, soften your fondant in the microwave, and then you will want to grease your surface well, and add about another 1/4 cup cocoa (a little at a time) with very well-greased hands and knead it in until smooth and shiny, and desired color. Keep adding Crisco to your hands to work in the excess cocoa. 

Marshmallow fondant...very smooth and easy to handle
Chocolate fondant...my favorite...smooth and shiny...almost resembles chocolate ganache...tastes like a tootsie roll


7 comments:

Theresa said...

Thank you for posting these recipes. I received a Cricut Cake for Christmas and am at a total loss to where to even start.

Cathy Leavitt said...

Theresa,
Thanks so much for visiting my blog. Please feel free to email me with any questions, and I will try talking you through things. The Cricut Cake can be a little tricky, until you learn how to use it. I was very frustrated at first. Still get frustrated from time to time, but you just have to practice.

可欣 said...

Hi Cathy, I'm wondering if the chocolate marshmallow
Fondant recipe can the cocoa powder be replaced with white Chocolate and thereafter coloring can be added to it?

Thanks for posting this wonderful recipe!
Chrxyn

Cathy Leavitt said...

Chrxyn,
Thanks for following my blog. I've never tried using white chocolate in this recipe. Keep in mind that the chocolate I use has 60% cocoa content, and white chocolate does not usually have that high of a cocoa content. I would just experiment with it first. Also, something I have found that works well with a white chocolate is 50/50 marshmallow fondant and white modeling chocolate. It does make for a stiffer dough. However, it gives you more of the white chocolate flavor.

Jeani Lyn said...

Hi, Cathy. I am brand new to fondant, in need of advice. My daughter and I are making a three tiered cake in a week and half for my niece's bridal shower. We have made two "practice" cakes, but our fondant has turned out dull and muted in both cases. I have researched what to do, but all the ideas (steaming, pam, brushing with water) seem temporary & potentially disastrous. We have been using a different recipe that uses powdered sugar during the rollout. Do your cakes appear this shiny and beautiful because of the Crisco, or have you treated them in some way? My daughter and I are perfectionists, and my niece means the world to us. We want to achieve a cake that is shiny and beautiful!
Thank you in advance,
Jeani

Cathy Leavitt said...

Dear Jeani,
Thanks for visiting my blog. Anytime you roll out fondant with extra powdered sugar or cornstarch, you are taking the chance of it drying out. My preferred method is to roll it out on some kind of silicone or vinyl mat. The one I use is simply called "The Mat." You can search it on my blog or google it to get more info. Also make sure you knead the fondant well before rolling it out. If you still don't like the finish, you can brush it with a super pearl dust or airbrush it with a ear airbrush color. I prefer to have a softer finish instead of shiny shiny. I hope this helps. Good luck with your cake. I would love to see a picture.

Jeani Lyn said...

Thank you so much for the input. I have been using a silicone roll out mat originally purchased for my pie dough. I am hoping to achieve the same finish as the cakes on this page. Not fakey, but far from dull!
I will be using your recipes tonight, for the last practice cake before the big day! I will send pics of the finished product next weekend. Fingers crossed!
Jeani