Sunday, August 22, 2010

Silicone Fondant Molds

Sometimes I get excited over simple little things. One decorating tool that I really LOVE is my blue silicone fondant bead mold. There are lots of these silicone fondant molds, but I really love this bead mold. I used it for the first time on the cake I did yesterday, and it was so simple to use and the results were even greater than I expected. So much easier to put on a fondant covered cake than to try to pipe a perfect bead border in buttercream at the reception site after the cake is stacked. 

Here are a few hints when working with the silicone molds...

  • Use half fondant and half gumpaste...work together thoroughly until smooth and pliable
  • Roll the fondant/gumpaste mixture into a rope the length you need, then push it into the mold
  • Trim the excess off with a small spatula
  • Put in the freezer for approx. 3-5 minutes before unmolding
  • Unmold onto a non stick surface and store in ziplock bag until ready to use
  • Attach to fondant covered cake with a small amount of water...apply with a small paint brush around entire border area



No comments: