Saturday, February 14, 2009

Valentine's Day Wedding Cake


I did an interesting cake today for a Valentine's wedding. Actually, the bride and groom were already married, but renewing their vows. The cake was interesting because all of the decorations were done in fondant, even the borders. The hearts were all done free hand by rolling strips of fondant and then just forming them into different size hearts and putting them randomly on the background fondant, which, by the way, sticks together with just a little water. The bride also had beautiful roses to put on the cake, which finished it off perfectly. She had sent me a picture of this cake that she found on-line and asked me to duplicate it. I think it turned out pretty well for being the first time doing a cake with these kind of decorations. I always enjoy new challenges.



3 comments:

Tiffany said...

awesome job Cathy!!! It looks great!!! I'm going to attempt to make the Death Star for Elijah's birthday cake!!! I'm quite nervous. Especially since I can't find the wilton ball cake pan. Do you have any ideas??? And should I start with chocolate fondant???? I'm making tie fighters too but out of mini bunt cakes!!

Cathy Leavitt said...

Tiffany,

I looked that up (with Paula's help) to see what it looked like. The only way you can possibly do that is with a ball pan. If you have not checked ABC Cake Decorating, call them to see if they have one. That's where I used to get all of my supplies when we were still in AZ. If they don't have it, then it will be hard to find. Hope that helps. --Cathy

Cathy Leavitt said...

Tiffany,

Also, just stick with the gray paste color. It doesn't look dark enough to use the chocolate fondant. cl