Tuesday, April 20, 2021

Baking in Missouri

When we moved to Colorado, I had to learn to bake all over again at high altitude. Well, now we are here in Missouri, and I have to learn to bake all over again in the humidity. I first tried using my normal recipe, and the cake was beautiful when it came out of the oven, but then shrunk in the pan as it cooled. I have experimented until I believe I have come up with the correct formula. For a 6 inch cake, use 1 recipe, for an 8 inch cake, double the recipe, and you will have some left over for cupcakes.

Scratch Cake Using Cake Mix

1 Duncan Hines cake mix
1/3 cup oil
1 cup milk
4 oz. sour cream
3 eggs

Beat wet ingredients together. Then blend in sifted cake mix, just until combined, being careful not to beat in too much air. Bake at 350 degrees until toothpick in center comes out clean.  Baking time will depend on your specific oven. Start at 35 minutes and add more time as needed. Chocolate cakes normally take longer than other flavors. 

(Revised April 2022)

No comments: