Wednesday, April 15, 2020

I'm a lemon lover!


I love the juicy tartness of a fresh squeezed lemon. Lemonade, lemon bars, lemon cake, lemon curd, lemon meringue pies, lemon tarts - all yummy to me. One of the best things about living in Arizona was our lemon tree that would be loaded with huge lemons every winter. Our neighbors received a lemon meringue pie, along with a basket of lemons, for Christmas each year.



A few days ago, I braved going out to Safeway to buy fresh lemons, in anticipation of making one of my Luscious Lemon cakes for a customer. Since that didn't pan out, I had a whole bag of lemons in my refrigerator that I wanted to use. 


I sat down at my computer and looked for a new lemon recipe to try, and found "Lemon Butter Cookies." These little gems are really tasty and probably not a good thing to have around for just the two of us during this time together at home. These are worthy of being added to my collection of favorite cookie recipes. 







Lemon Butter Cookies

2 1/4 cups flour
1 1/4 tsp. baking powder
3/4 tsp. salt
10 Tbsp. softened butter
1 (8 oz.) block cream cheese, softened
1 1/4 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
2 tsp. finely grated lemon zest
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1 tsp. vanilla
Few drops yellow food coloring
3/4 cup powdered sugar

Directions

In medium bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, and salt. In large bowl, beat butter, cream cheese, and granulated sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, lemon juice, lemon zest, vanilla, and food coloring. Mix in dry ingredients until just combined. Cover bowl and refrigerate until firm. 

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line baking sheets with parchment paper. Roll dough into 2 inch balls and roll in powdered sugar. Let set for 2-3 minutes, and then roll again in powdered sugar. Place about 2 inches apart on baking sheet, and bake until cookies crackle and set, but are still soft in center, about 18 minutes. Transfer to cooling rack to cool completely.


No comments: