Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles... do they ever get old?


Is it my imagination, or are the Turtles making a huge comeback? And how old are they anyway? I remember decorating TMNT cakes when my kids were young... like about 30 years ago. I did a little research a few days ago and found out that the Turtles first made their appearance in 1984. Here it is 31 years later and they are more popular than ever... crazy!

I tried to find a picture of that first TMNT cake that I designed all those years ago, but couldn't seem to find it. Looked everywhere. I vaguely remember wanting to toss the picture so no one would request another cake like it. Back then, most of the cakes I decorated for birthdays were sheet cakes and all of the decorations were done in buttercream. I copied the pattern, cut it out with an exacto knife, and pressed it into the crusted buttercream. I then filled in the outlined design with thinned buttercream. I remember this TMNT cake being very detailed and very time consuming. (Not that some of the cakes I design now aren't time consuming), but all those different colors of buttercream are not always a joy to decorate with. I still do that once in awhile, but not nearly as often. 

Cake decorating has come a long way since then. We now have so many different mediums and different techniques to work with. During the last few months, I have decorated cake pops, cupcakes, and cakes... all with TMNT... cute, but still time consuming and a lot of work. And I just can't believe they're still around!




 RK pops in turtle colors



No comments: