Friday, August 9, 2013

Red and black... really?

If you are a follower of my blog, you will know by now that I strongly dislike decorating with red or black food coloring. So, as an option, whenever possible, I use the following techniques:

(1) I use Hershey's Special Dark Cocoa to make black. I love this stuff! If you add enough cocoa to your buttercream or fondant, it REALLY does look black. Sometimes I add a small amount of light corn syrup to make it the consistency that I am looking for. 

(2) Whenever possible, I try to airbrush red pieces, especially flowers, instead of coloring the icing/fondant. That way I am using less color than I would otherwise. 

Satin Ice also makes a really really good dark chocolate fondant that resembles black. If you are not a fondant lover, this will change your mind. I guarantee it.

Something just tells me that because you have to use so much red or black food coloring to get a good intense color that it can't possibly be good for you. Sometimes the "end" result may not be good either. I will not go into detail about that last comment, but I have stories I could tell. 

Here are some cakes that I've done with red and black coloring using these techniques...

Airbrushed roses and dark chocolate lace
Airbrushed red fondant
Airbrushed red gumpaste
Airbrushed gumpaste musical notes and treble clef
Dark chocolate spider webbing
Dark chocolate borders made with Satin Ice dark chocolate fondant and blue silicone mold
Dark chocolate poured fondant
Dark chocolate fondant flowers
Dark chocolate fondant/gumpaste ribbon
Dark chocolate buttercream scrollwork on fondant
Dark chocolate buttercream piping on whipped cream...yes, the bead border is actually piped buttercream


No comments: