Sunday, April 14, 2013

Indian Fry Bread


A friend from church asked if anyone had a recipe for bread for Navajo tacos. Immediately, I was taken back to memories of earlier days when a favorite family meal was Indian Fry Bread with refried beans or taco meat, lettuce, tomatoes, cheese, and salsa. Of course, sometimes the kids being rather picky would opt for only cheese, or if we wanted something sweet, we sprinkled on a little powdered sugar. Living in northeastern Arizona, Indian Fry Bread was very popular. I remember going to the AZ State Fair, and getting fry bread at a booth operated by Native American Indians from our church. It was always one of the most popular food booths at the fair. So, since I haven't made fry bread for many years and it is not really a food on the Weight Watchers program, I had to search a little to find the recipe. This recipe is courtesy of an old friend of mine, Norma Hayes, who wrote a cookbook, along with Shirley Davis, called Cooking for Crowds and Parties. I have used the recipes in this book more than I can remember. This original recipe made enough for 20 large pieces, so I always cut the recipe in half and it was plenty for our family of 5, with some left over. This recipe makes 10 large pieces. 

Indian Fry Bead

4 cups flour
1 T. baking powder
1/2 cup dry milk
3/4 T. salt
1 1/4 cups tepid (just warm) water
Oil for frying

Combine dry ingredients. Add water to form a soft dough. Use more water if necessary. Form into small balls; roll out and fry in hot oil. Remove when golden brown and drain on paper towels. Serve warm with beans, cheese, honey, or powdered sugar. 

Navajo Taco
You can cut the dough into smaller shapes and make sopapillas served with honey, powdered sugar, or cinnamon sugar. Perfect dessert to end a Mexican meal. 

Enjoy the recipe! As for me, this is just making me extremely hungry for bread and something sweet.

3 comments:

Kris said...

I have that book also. Shirley's son Johnny is one of my good friends, and long ago my Chiropractor. She even signed mine, as did Norma. Of course back then I had an in.

Cathy Leavitt said...

Kris, mine is signed by Norma. Love the cookbook...have used it allot, especially in my line of work.

Kris said...

Upps I mean Norma's son Johnny. So did you go to the famous Steak Frys at the Beals Farm??