Monday, December 12, 2011

If you believe in prayer...

If you pray, you know that sometimes prayers aren't answered in exactly the way you plan. Such was the case last weekend when I was finishing up on a wedding cake. This was a 3-tier 6, 10, and 14 inch cake. The top tier and the bottom tier were done. The only decorations on the middle tier were a swagged ribbon and large bow. I had originally planned to use SugarVeil to make these with, but for some reason (probably because it was so cold in the kitchen), the SugarVeil was not setting up as quickly as I hoped. Finally, I said a prayer that basically asked that the SugarVeil set up quickly so that I could finish the cake. I waited as long as I could, tried finishing up on the decorations, and I was just not happy with the way they were turning out as the SugarVeil was still not set up as well as it should have been. Next idea... make the ribbon and bow from fondant... too limp. Last resort, make the ribbon and bow with part gumpaste and part fondant for added stiffness. I rolled the ribbon out and placed it on the cake with a little water, then cut out the bow and tails and put them in a plastic container to put on the cake after the tiers were set up. Final result... so much nicer than I would have ever expected. So you see, the answer to the prayer was that the SugarVeil did not set up, but I was forced to use my creativity for something that turned out much better. I later said a prayer of gratitude for the help I had received.





3 comments:

Charity Silkebakken said...

Your cake came out lovely! I'd say your prayers were answered. I need to make a ribbon and bow pretty much exactly like this one in a couple of weeks. May I ask what ratio of gumpaste to fondant you ended up using? It looks great!

Cathy Leavitt said...

Charity, thanks so much for visiting my blog. I believe that I used 50/50 fondant and gumpaste. Be sure to have something you can put inside the bow to use as a "former" until the bow sets. I used some of the hollow white plastic dowels and that seemed to work well to keep the bow from collapsing. Let me know how that works for you. Better yet, send me a picture of your finished cake.
cfleavitt@gmail.com

Paula said...

This is my daughter's wedding cake! How awesome to reflect upon this cake and day a year later. Indeed it did turn out beautiful! The evening became even more challenging. Before the couple could enter the wedding reception there was a 6 mile power outage. The reception was held by candle light. Our consultants made sure there were many tealights around your cake for display.